Search This Blog

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Blot saving

I saw this post from Critias on the Son of Peter blot. Just thought I'd save it in case it was removed by MJ in a fit of the 'boo hoos' (refer to MJ's old comment on this blog where his incisive comment was ... "boo hoo"... yep, that's what they must teach at Moore!).

The blog its from is the Evangelical Manifesto

"I like it that it doesn't mention 'creationism' "... [quoting another comment] do we also like it that it doesn't set our faith on the ground of God's creation as he sets his 'manifesto'; that is, the Bible?
No. . .well, ho hum, another human attempt to substitute for the word of God and appeal to the world in its terms, instead of God's.
But, that said, I don't see the point. Who is the M supposed to influence? World media? They won't care. It certainly will have no effect on the next taxi driver I ask "so, do you think we descended from monkeys?".


The some bright spark, with no irony function, scolded for the 'evolved from monkeys' faux pas, and Crit, said:

Mike, I am aware of standard evolutionary doctrine on this point. However, if discussing with a taxi driver, my conversational tactic is to arouse a response that will enable me to steer a conversation to Christ. This is a pretty reliable opener.
If I was writing a paper on the matter I would adopt a diffent course.
Incidently natural selection is a conservative, not an innovative process: it selects and eliminates from the gene pool, but does not expand it. It was first discussed in any detail, to my knowledge, by Edward Blyth, who influenced Darwin. More on Blyth here: creationontheweb.com/content/view/493/

2 comments:

Critias said...

Eric, thanks for the post!!
The point is, if you're in a taxi, you've very little time to catch the driver's attention. So a provocative question is in order (I've decided not to use Gordon Cheng's killer question "so you think you're going to hell, do you?", because that's not how Paul started with pagans).

This question gets a conversation up most times: sometimes no, occasionally I meet a taxi driving PhD biology student who puts me right (not) no, taxi drivers are usually 'ordinary blokes' who love a chat, and that's what ensues. We can go right through origins, the parlous state of the world, the reason why (separated from the one who is love), and how he, the offended one who'se seen his creation broken, has stepped in to save us; easy really!

Critias said...

Blog entry on a bloke who, unlike the SADs really, practically, reaching out.

http://victoriaconcordiacrescit.blogspot.com/search/label/Alan%20Hirsch.

Catch it, only its probably too humble for the SAD.