Search This Blog

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Of Grammatology

Thank you for your kindness in assisting with my grammar to those who took the trouble to analyse and thoughtfully comment on my lapses. It reminds me of a sermon by that great Calvanist Darryl Erkel, extract below, point 3 particularly:

1. So often, when we converse with other believers, we tend to talk past each other because we have not learned the value and discipline of listening. James 1:19 tell us, "But let everyone be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger."

2. I am persuaded that most of our doctrinal controversies throughout church history could have been solved or perhaps eased had Christians been more willing to listen carefully to one another.

3. Learn to be patient with the verbal blunders of others - "For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well" (James 3:2).

4. As hard as it may seem, learn to value the criticism that you receive from others. Spurgeon wisely advised his own students at the Pastor's College in London to not view criticism as necessarily a bad thing:

You must be able to bear criticism, or you are not fit to be at the head of a congregation; and you must let the critic go without reckoning him among your deadly foes, or you will prove yourself a mere weakling. It is wisest always to show double kindness where you have been severely handled by one who thought it his duty to do so, for he is probably an honest man and worth winning . . . The best of people are sometimes out at elbows and say unkind things; we should be glad if our friends could quite forget what we said when we were peevish and irritable, and it will be Christ-like to act towards others in this matter as we would wish them to do towards us . . . A sensible friend who will unsparingly criticize you from week to week will be a far greater blessing to you than a thousand undiscriminating admirers if you have sense enough to bear his treatment, and grace enough to be thankful for it. When I was preaching at the Surrey Gardens, an unknown censor of great ability used to send me a weekly list of my mispronunciations and other slips of speech. He never signed his name, and that was my only cause of complaint against him, for he left me in a debt which I could not acknowledge. I take this opportunity of confessing my obligations to him, for with genial temper, and an evident desire to benefit me, he marked down most relentlessly everything which he supposed me to have said incorrectly. Concerning some of these corrections he was in error himself, but for the most part he was right, and his remarks enabled me to perceive and avoid many mistakes. I looked for his weekly memoranda with much interest, and I trust I am all the better for them (Lectures to My Students [Vol.2], pp.169-170,175).

5. Criticism Will:

A. Keep you humble. Criticism helps to deflate swollen-egos.

B. Inform and educate you.

C. Keep you dependent upon your heavenly Father.

D. Help to confirm that you are not a man-pleaser - as Jesus warned His own disciples: "Woe to you when all men speak well of you" (Luke 6:26).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought I should say hi to Henry and Peter on this forum.

Its Craig from Tahmoor, the bloke whose original post you deleted when I said I was at one time the leading poster on the Anglo forums and a chandelier swinging pentecostal to boot, and had never ever been banned from the forums, not once.

It is possible to debate with civility.

Blessings and BTW the juice was terrific thanks craig

Unknown said...

Valid criticism is what happens on the SydAng forum, which you mistakenly think has booted you off. People on both sides of the YECS divide discuss the topic, if a little heatedly, without making out those who disagree aren't Christian, as you guys have.

This blog is a bitchfest - you make claims that seem to deny the validity of difference of opinion, without a proven basis; you make claims about other slagging you off, without a proven basis; and then you pretend to act like you are being helpful critics and that we should be thankful as you throw dirt in our faces.