Search This Blog

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Looking back on Connect '09

So 09, and its 'connect' draws to a close.

Let's see: what has been achieved?

It is time for the 'told you sos' from all and sundry.

Now, I hope that people have repented at a greater rate than without Connecting '09, but I haven't seen much evidence.

I hope that churches are now connecting to their communities more than they did. But where I live, I don't see it...same old same old. But I hope that I'm wrong, and not seeing much that is happening.

I guess the test is; what are the headlines now saying about the Anglican church...let me check recent papers.

Here we are; in the Herald's business section a few days ago; the Anglican Diocese of Sydney memorialised as the crowd that gambled over a hundred million...and lost! That's the connection: the SAD connected with debt; foolishness; arguably greed; and connected with trust in mammon over God! Great record Peter. In politics even the NSW ALP would resign government under such a performance, what do archbishops do?

I guess its a case of 'do it again in two thousand and ten!'

3 comments:

neil moore said...

Defeat is not taken easily within the Diocese.

Connect 09 moves on into 2010 with modification while enthusiasm diminishes and one day, perhaps well into 2011, everyone will awaken one morning and realise the initiative no longer exists. Attempts will be made to ascertain just when Connect 09 finished but this will be difficult for many to define. Some unkind cynics might say it was finished before it started.

Meanwhile, we trust, this "Eye on the Diocese" will continue calling the Diocese back to its evangelical roots.

Neil

Eric said...

Reminds me of a whole bunch of sloganeered efforts that impressed the sloganeers, but had no effect on those outside the church: the 'Evangelism Explosion' of the 70s, the Baptist 'cross over Australia' 'mission'...I'm sure there are others, and I'm sure they've all had equally tiny effect. Very inefficient use of limited church resources.

Eric said...

Reminds me of a whole bunch of sloganeered efforts that impressed the sloganeers, but had no effect on those outside the church: the 'Evangelism Explosion' of the 70s, the Baptist 'cross over Australia' 'mission'...I'm sure there are others, and I'm sure they've all had equally tiny effect. Very inefficient use of limited church resources.